Saturday, December 02, 2006

Life goes on.....

Hi,

On the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, I developed what is sometimes referred to as a muscle spasm. The definition is a one time muscular contraction that is soon forgotten. The reality, for me, is something that it continues for some time. Several years ago I was prescribed SOMA, a muscle relaxant, for the condition. I've been taking leftover SOMA for three days trying to get things back to normal. Today, Saturday, I finally went out to a couple of stores. I wasn't great but I wasn't taking drugs either! The point is that shit like this happens more often as you age so get out there & have fun while you can.

I have to tell you folks; you're dumb if you don't retire as soon as you can. Have your fun while you can; your income is less important than your ability to have fun. As one ages, the things that would have been minor aches become things that keep you in bed; the things that would have meant a day off work become something that no one understands. I have a history of muscle spasms that started about 10 years ago. I'm 58 now. Do you really think I'll be more healthy next year? Are you really that foolish? These things will lay me low for 1 or 2 weeks a year. What if it happens to you while you are having that once in a lifetime vacation?

If you have visited me before you know that my attitude is that THIS IS my once in a lifetime vacation; my next lifetime starts tomorrow! The only way my last vacation will be my best is if I die before I take another! Join me in enjoying the present; remembering the past and hoping for the future!

Best regards,

Don

2 comments:

ArkayToday said...

Interesting thougths. Good advice too, but it partly depends on your definition of retirement. For some... an endless vacation. Don't know if I could handle that. For others, just a different kind of work. Still others spend their lives getting paid for doing what they love.

Regardless, the point is never lose sight of what makes you happy.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog. No, we do not speak spanish well, Roy speaks very little, understands a little more than he speaks. He always calls me to translate, what a joke!! I speak some and understand some. I understand it better when conversing in person because you know the subject matter (in this case the photos) and by watching the other persons body language. People here are very good about speaking slowly to you when they see that you are trying. they will also throw in the odd word in english if they know one and will use more "common words" if they see you don't understand the word that they have used. I am getting better at understanding; but have a long way to go. I get the general idea; but miss the abstracts and nuances. It is fun to learn; although frustrating at times.
I so agree with your thoughts about retiring. That is why we are here at our pre-retirement ages. We have seen so many people who by the time they were 65 and able to retire were not healthy enough to enjoy it or died shortly after retiring. Also know a few people who died without ever retiring. Money is not the driving force in our lives; although a little more would be nice LOL. We can live comfortably on what we have; but do have to be careful how we spend. Do we regret retiring on our very limited income? NOT FOR A MINUTE!!! We are enjoying what time we have; while we are "relatively" healthy.
Brenda