Monday, March 16, 2020

Just hanging around....

It's been pretty quiet around here if you don't pay attention to any news source.  The news is, as always, pretty noisy.  This whole coronavirus mess is interesting.  By the way, I do believe there is such a virus and I do believe it will be growing more dangerous here in the USA.  Listening to our esteemed President about this makes no more sense that listening to him about anything else.

Anyway, our little town has lots of RV'ers who seems to have stopped here and they are making shopping just nasty.  Ok, they are spending their money here but they are also clogging up roads, parking lots and even restaurants!  Go away, people!

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.  Actually, they aren't doing anything too awful.  They are just stocking up for their next month or two of self-imposed isolation.  A couple days ago there was no hand sanitizer left on the store shelves.  Now, I don't use that crap so I didn't care but that's not where it stopped.  Yesterday we went into Walmart for a couple things (dog food and some blackout curtains if you must know) and decided to look at the meat counter.  There was NO beef!  There were only a couple packages of pork chops left!  The frozen food area was half empty as well.  Really?  I should have taken a picture.  People are just going crazy over this.  Now, granted, the media is carrying coronavirus headlines every day but jeez! 

Ok, I'm over 70 but fairly healthy so EVEN I should have a decent chance of surviving this thing.  So who the hell has stripped Walmart of all their meat?  It is just stupid.  I guess I'm not used to seeing panic in the streets.  We were in a restaurant the other day and the two guys at the next table were talking about buying ammunition - lots of ammunition.  Like it is going to be the end-of-the-world and sick people are going to be attacking them and they needed to shoot them to save their hand sanitizer supply.  What idiots!  And, yes, we are still going out to eat.

Of course having the stock market go nuts is only to be expected.  Those traders are just one step away from nuts most days.  Do we have money in the market?  Yes.  Has our investment gone down?  Yes.  Will we be eating dog food next week?  No.  The dog will but, naw, unless the supermarket doesn't come up with more hamburger we'll stay away from his food. 

In the midst of all this our daughter is still in the process of moving to Austin.  Her house sale did go through and the one she purchased is being spiffed up.  I'd be going crazy if I were her having people doing things to my new house and not being there.  But, if it works for her, great.  Of course we'll have to visit her one of these days but Austin is a lovely town and there are lots of other places to visit between here and there.  It should work out just fine. 

Gotta go.  Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Croft said...

Things are similar up here in the Frozen North (Canada) where many folks seem to rely on Trump for their medical advice. I went to the store yesterday for a few things but not much luck. The canned vegetable shelves are stripped bare. There were only four cans left on all the shelves. The cheapest canned peas they sold so I bought two of them. LOL. Hand sanitizer of course is a thing of the past but I found a half bottle here at home so I am fine. Toilet paper and ketchup seems to be a thing of the past. I guess if worse came to worst I guess we could eat toilet paper if it had enough ketchup on it.

Snowbirds are flocking home early for a couple of reasons. 1) Many travel medical companies are telling people to come home immediately or face having their policy cancelled and 2) Returning snowbirds have to put themselves into a two week seclusion when they get home and being Canadians, we will actually do it.

I am not panicking. I have enough food in the freezer and pantry to last a while (except for ketchup). I am not going out as often but I am going out when I have to / want to. Today I am going out for a seafood lunch at the local seniors centre. Yes, I know you are jealous! It is never very crowded so we always get a table to ourselves.

I was at the doctor's yesterday for a minor shoulder injury and learned that we now have one CV patient in Campbell River. Plus one of our dental offices is closed after one of their dentists attended a conference where four attendees tested positive for CV. Otherwise, life is normal except my Rainy Day Fund has dropped a few thousand dollars thanks to the market panic.