Friday, March 05, 2021

Well, that was different.

I started this post on Tuesday 2 March but got interrupted and here we are days later but the facts are the same!

*****************

Today I can't complain about how things are so dull; at least not this morning!  My wife and I had a quiet night as usual and I got up about 06:30.  I was wandering around in my robe and decided to open the blinds in my office which is right next to the front door.  I didn't see anything but after a few minutes there was a loud thud!  I looked and someone was trying to get up.  He'd fallen against the house.  Apparently he'd spent at least part of the night sheltering there.

Soon after he was wandering down the path towards the road but decided to relax in our driveway.  He just lay there once in a while looking for something in his backpack.  This guy was clearly under the influence of something so I called the Sheriff making it clear that this was no emergency.


 

After a while an officer showed up.  Our visitor was still just taking it easy in the drive.  I should say it was about 25F out there.  After quite a bit of discussion, we had another officer show up and then another and then some EMTs.  Apparently the guy was just under the influence because the EMTs had a look at him then left.


That photo was taken as a screen shot from a Ring video.  After a whole bunch of checking him and his possessions, the original deputy took our visitor off.  And that was that.  For us the mystery is what the heck was he doing here?  You can see from that photo of the four emergency vehicles that this isn't actually downtown!  I mean it is at least 2 or 3 miles from the nearest place you could buy a beer and he had several in his pack.  We aren't on the way to anywhere except more isolated homes.  There aren't any places out here where the homeless have their camps.  It is just strange but I guess we'll never know the answer.

 


However I was curious and had to go back and check the Ring history and, sure enough, there was our visitor at 02:42 a.m. coming stumbling up the walk to the front door.  Yes, that is a beer in his hand.  

So that's the excitement for today.  Well, not all.  Our son and daughter-in-law are coming to visit us on Thursday and staying the weekend.  Getting the place ready for visitors is work!  Take care & thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Dee Tillotson said...

Don, you may have saved that man's life; in his condition, he could have been hit by a car or died from exposure to the low nightly temperatures. I know you probably won't get a thank you from him, so give yourself a pat on the back (and I'll give you one too).

Someone probably gave him a ride, found out he was drunk, and dropped him off on the side of the road. Just can't imagine him being able to walk two or three miles out of town in such a condition on his own.