Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Family History

I was reading another blog and the person has just discovered that his grandfather was an actual spy in World War II (that's what we Yanks call it, I know it has other names in other places, sorry I don't know them all!). I think that's really cool! Anyway, this brought to mind something about my family that I think is either fine or sad depending on your outlook. I believe that between my family and my wife's we've been represented in every major military action that the US has been involved in since the Spanish-American war.

My grandfather was in the Spanish American war. Went to Cuba even but not with Mr. Roosevelt. I had an uncle who was in World War I but I don't know much about it because he came home and died in the flu epidemic! My dad was in WW II; he was 36 when drafted but was divorced so he was fair game! My wife's step-father was in Korea; landed at Inchon (sp?) even. I was in the Army during Vietnam though I was stationed in the US for my whole service career. My wife's brother joined the Navy right about the time I left the Army and stayed until 2000 which covers a whole bunch of non-war hostilities. So I think that the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq are the first two military actions that we haven't been involved with in over 100 years. Pretty weird, huh. I wonder how many other families there are like ours.

BTW, if you don't have anything else to do, would you mind praying or wishing or dreaming for peace? It really seems like a good thing, especially since we seem to have invaded a couple of reasonably innocent countries who just happen to have religious beliefs that aren't the same as ours.

Have a good one!

1 comment:

Helene said...

I think of the military folks there all the time. It muct be so difficult for them... First of all to be there away from their families... then risking their lives... and finally they HAVE to do what they are told regardless of what they believe. That must be so difficult.

cheers...K