Thursday, June 15, 2006

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wow! Yesterday we finally closed on the duplex. Now this house is the only real estate we own. Six years ago we moved back to Florida thinking we would be working and being close to our mothers for a few years. The working part didn't work (urk) but the taking care of moms sure did. Now both have passed away and the duplex, the last big hangup, is gone.

We thought that we'd go out and have many drinks and maybe a fancy dinner. I have a nice bottle of champagne that I bought some time ago for the occasion. Nope! We did drive up the coast via the beachs and stop a couple of places but then we just stopped in a local Mexican place for dinner. It was all I could do to keep awake until 22:00. Rather than being in a party mood it was more of a numbness. We are like the wild animals who are caged for so long that they don't know how to respond when the door is left open. It will wear off, I know, but for right now we are moving slowly. The champagne will wait.

Today the lawn is calling. Alberto (the tropical storm one) left us with 4-6 inches of rain and our grass responded with an enthusiastic growth spurt. Mowing it & taking the resulting shower are my only plans. If my wife isn't up to cooking I might lose an ounce! Have a good one everyone.

1 comment:

Lady Prism said...

congratulations!....

That happens to me and zee' Hubz' as well...after some sort of grueling thing..we decide to do something special outside only to drive around deciding not to go to the place we decided to go to and instead drive around in indecision...like clouded and tired...eat...then head off home and sleep...

Yes, definitely...the champagne can wait...