Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Life in the fast lane

Wow! This being retired is tough. This morning I'm going to dump a mutual fund that hasn't been performing. Then this afternoon I'm taking the truck to get an oil change AND going to Sam's Club. How's that for a full schedule?

It's funny. When we were working we'd both have days where we went from meeting to meeting all day long. Now if we have one thing scheduled for the day it's unusual. Like yesterday, I did a bunch of shopping but none of it was absolutely required doing yesterday. If I'd put it off until today; well, we'd have had something else for dinner. Or my wife's printer would have had to limp along without color for another day. Real earth-shattering stuff, huh.

Dinner last night was baked ziti. It's a pain in the ass but we needed the comfort food thing. It's just layers of ziti, three cheeses and sauce but seems to take forever to make. Got home at 5 & it wasn't ready until 7. And I dirtied nearly every pot & pan in the place. Well, actually only 8 or 10 but it sure looked a heck of a mess. Thank goodness that we have the "cook doesn't have to clean up" rule!

Have a good one!

5 comments:

Cinnamon said...

Mmmmmmm... baked Ziti is one of my favorites - it's messy, but easier than a lasagne! And the leftovers are awesome.

ArkayToday said...

ALL lefover Italian is awsome.

As for being retired? In envious.

Helene said...

Hey... you were so nice in your comments... thanks!

I have a question for you... I am going to in Fl next month with my family and wanted to head to the beach there... we have reservations at the hilton in clearwater beach, but need 2 rooms (mom in law is joining the 5 of us) so the cost is huge... any suggestions of a nice upscale place what may have a suite (one or 2 bedrooms that would sleep 5 or 6? How about another hotel on the beach in Tampa or St Pete? We are coming from Orlando, so it really doesnt matter what beach we end up at there...

Thanks for your help!!

Kate

Don said...

Kate, I enjoy reading your blog. I should say nice things about it!

As to staying around here, let me check it out. Generally this is the off season for Clearwater and I wouldn't worry at all about finding places to stay. (But that's my style of travel!) It might be possible to rent a condo or timeshare that would be nicer than any hotel room and less expensive. We did that in Hawaii once and it was very nice; not such a commercial feel but no maid service either. However they may have a 3 night minimum or some such BS.

Lady Prism said...

baked Ziti eh!...I haven't had lunch yet....this Ziti you described here sounds really filling...