Thursday, November 04, 2010

Republican's Problem

I've been thinking more about how Mr. Obama can become a one term president and it seems to me that if the Republican party can find the right candidate, Mr. Obama is toast.  On the other hand, finding that person is going to be really tough.  I can hear people talking up Sarah Palin now.  I've gotta say, it's tough finding someone less experienced than Mr. Obama but you've got one there!

Here's something that Jack Welch (former head of GE) says:  "The Republican Party has a real challenge and I think more than I've ever seen in my life they need a vision,".  I couldn't agree more.  When Mr. Obama won election it was because it sounded like he had a vision.  Maybe he did but he's been unable to implement it so it's like it was never there.  One of the mysteries of history is whether Jack Kennedy could have implemented his vision had he lived.  Lyndon Johnson inherited the office and the vision and he was politician enough to implement the vision.  Welch went on to say the Republican's must not be merely obstructive:  "If we get wild gridlock and we don't get constructive discussion about these policies, we won't be better off but no worse off,".

So why are our politicians unable to think these ideas?  Jeez!  A quote for Mr. Obama from Samuel Johnson:  "He who waits to do a great deal of good at once, will never do anything."

4 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Tina Fey does a better Palin than Palin does. Sorry, but I can't help but laugh whenever I see her, and can't understand why people think that she is anything.

Unknown said...

The big problem is that politics used to be the art of compromise and now it is purely the art of bombast and intransigence. With all the shrill special interests, any one who could lead and do good is toast before the negative ads even begin.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said...

I think the GOP would be wise to find a popular governor in a coastal and populous Blue State. (Next choice would be a popular governor in a battleground midwestern state.) There is one, Christie in New Jersey. He is actually showing some guts about putting his state back in fiscally better condition. Most pols only talk about making the tough choices.

Don said...

Boonie, you are way too calculating for me! Needless to say, I don't play chess.

I like Christie but he's got a couple of years to screw up as well, kind of like the Prez.

Hope you all have a good one!