Wednesday, November 03, 2010

We're all voted....

I hope that at least some of your candidates won.  I've had a couple elections where I didn't get a single winner; happily that was not the case this year.  I didn't bat 100% for sure but at least Senator Reid was returned.  I hate having to vote against someone but that was the position we were given.  Bah humbug.

Now it's going to be interesting to see in the new Congress can manage to do anything at all.  From what I've heard of the Republican leadership, there's a reasonable chance that nothing will be done at all in the next two years.  That might be a good thing! 

Random Roger, who is an investment advisor, had an interesting post that included his opinion that it's going to be very difficult for Mr. Obama to be elected for a second term.  I agree that it will be difficult but don't see it as an impossibility.  The way Harry Reid was re-elected was because his opponent was to far right for a lot of people; no reason why Mr. Obama might not have the same good fortune in 2012. 

Hell, Mr. Obama might even stop sounding so good and actually do something.  A reasonable immigration bill might be a start.  (I was watching "Undercover Boss" on tv the other night.  As an aside, the guy says getting his US citizenship cost him $15K.  Can that be true?  What the hell is that?)  Simplifying and clarifying Obamacare would perk up a lot of people.  Since we are supporting Fannie May and Freddy Mac anyway, why don't we just write down every mortgage by 25% or so.  Your outstanding balance was $200K; now it is $150K.  You still might be upside down but it would have to feel better and you would be much more likely to be able to afford it.  Do I like the idea?  No.  Is it the American Way?  Probably not.  But we need to get this behind us and foreclosing on 20% of the population is going to be ugly.

Well, at least we don't have a bunch of political ads to listen to any more.  Thank goodness for small favors!  Have a good one.

3 comments:

Croft said...

At least the Market seems to like the results! The Dow and TSX are both up 200 points!

Personally I am depressed with the overall results. It looks like rich, white, older men turned out in the highest numbers and the USA will reap the consequences.

Glad to see Harry back.

JoeinVegas said...

What about those of us without a major mortgage? Why should I have to pay for the rest of the people that made poor choices?

Don said...

Croft; one of the groups credited with keeping Harry in office is the Hispanic population. He's been courting them too. But you are right, there are an awful lot of rich white guys who won.

Joe; I agree my suggesting doesn't do anything for people who were/are responsible about being able to pay for what we spend. My wife and I have never owned a house that either of us couldn't afford if the other lost their job, divorced or whatever. Ok, maybe you get a choice, a mortgage write-down or a tax deduction that will last over several years. I don't know but we aren't getting any ideas discussed - good or bad.