Friday, July 28, 2023

Still quiet!

Between being older and it being a really hot summer there really isn't much going on around here.  Back in April I posted this photo of the empty lots across the street.  They were really green for Nevada!

At the time, I said it was way too green for this area.  Well, here's what it looks like today.

Just a bit browner isn't it.  Sorry the photos aren't a closer match but you should be able to get the idea.

Otherwise things are just perking along.  My wife's ankle injury is taking it's own sweet time getting better; she can walk in her boot but after about 50 feet the boot is irritating the remaining injuries and she has to give it up.  Her birthday is next month and the kids are coming to celebrate with her.  I'm thinking they will be pretty shocked at these two slow moving old folks.  They are in their early 50's so don't know what fun is in their future.  

Our local Smith's grocery (Kroger) has started carrying some alcoholic products from Four Freedoms.  I'd never heard of the brand and it sounded like it meant something so I had to look it up.  (Well, after I bought some of their vodka!)  It turns out that the Four Freedoms comes from a speech by FDR, his 1941 State of the Union address before we were involved in WWII, where he named four freedoms he wanted for every person in the world.

Freedom of speech.

Freedom of worship.

Freedom from want.

Freedom from fear.

He was talking about a world where Germany was trying to take over Europe; and what he thought we should be doing about that.  But isn't the idea cool?  Wouldn't it be great if everyone had those four freedoms?  Here in the U.S. we mostly have the first two and lots of us have all four.  I'm pretty sure that isn't the case in much of the world.  

Well, that's it for today.  I'm going to go push my wife around (in her wheelchair, no intimidation!).  Thanks for stopping by.  Keep washing those hands!


No comments: