Thursday, January 20, 2011

Food!

Someone sent me this link.  This girl has talent!  I don't usually care for songs that contain bad language but this is special; partially it's the audience reaction, partially her abilities and I've got to admit there are people that just deserve to be told this.  Language of the song is x-rated but the vid is not.
http://punchbaby.com/2011/01/ceelos-fck-you-in-sign-language/  Just excellent!

The medication given me at the ER is doing a great job so I had to cook something!  Hmmm, is that normal?  BTW, I'm not really a cook so I don't do recipes.  For example, a pound of beef could be anything from .75 to 1.25 pounds.  For this recipe, today, the cup of barley was more like 1.3 cup,  I used 2 bay leaves because the first seemed small, the vegies were just what were on hand, the mushrooms were sliced because they are large but I almost diced them.  It's not rocket science for me!

Well, anyway, I made beef-barley soup.  I look at most recipes and say, 'where's the barley?'.  You don't say that with this one, it's got 4 times the barley you find in some recipes.  So it's not a thin soup, it's close to soft cement in thickness, especially after it has been in the fridge for a day.  But it sure tastes good to my wife and I.  You've got to understand, we like barley! 

Have a good one.


Beef-n-Barley  Soup  

Ingredients:
1 lb beef cut into small cubes

1 cup red wine
1 t rosemary
1 bay leaf
salt, pepper, garlic to taste
  (4 small cloves smashed and chopped)
2 cans beef broth
1 can Rotel (tomatoes with peppers added)

1 cup barley
2 cups water

1 cup carrot small dice
1 cup celery small dice
1 med. onion, small dice

1.25 cup mushrooms sliced

Brown the beef in oil.  Add wine, broth, tomatoes & spices.  Cook for an hour.  I only salt & peppered the beef while it was being browned. 

Add barley, cook for 10 minutes.

 Added  2 cups of water this time.  Sometimes I add more if I want it thinner.

Add carrot, celery & onion; cook for 20 minutes.
Add mushrooms; cook for 10 minutes.  Ended up cooking it for another 5 because the barley was still a bit tough.

Had to add at least a teaspoon of salt but that's for our taste, your taste might be different or you might have salted the beef more when you browned it.  Serve. 

3 comments:

Lee said...

The recipe takes me back to my Granny's kitchen!

JoeinVegas said...

And recipes too - you are full of ideas!

Don said...

Lee, I hope you liked your Granny's kitchen!