Tuesday, December 27, 2011

We made it; now for some fun!

We made it through Christmas so now for some fun:  New Year!  I have always liked celebrating the new year.  One reason is that we always make it very low key, just me and my wife celebrating alone at home.  We usually have a special dinner but nothing elaborate, maybe an especially nice steak or, back when I could eat shellfish, lobster.  We usually have a fairly nice bottle of champagne as well even if it doesn't go particularly well with our dinner.  After dinner we will talk about the year gone by and the year ahead.  It's time to talk in broad terms about trips we might make, changes to the house or yard, earthshaking stuff like that.

After the first of the year, I'll be looking at our investments.  Perhaps it is time to lose a couple that haven't done well or perhaps it's time to take a little profit.  I used to try to make those decisions before the end of the year but I found that the holiday made me hurry, and maybe make decisions that weren't the best. 

I was standing in a line next to a total stranger the other day.  He found the card he wanted on the first try.  We talked about maybe it was an omen for the new year.  It would be good if we could all have a better 2012 than 2011.  Here's hoping it turns out to be so.  Have a good one.

No comments: