Thursday, December 01, 2011

Brrrrr

There is a weather front north of us bringing in rafts of clouds that look like giant gray mud flows.  The wind is 25 mph (40kph) with higher gusts.  NOT pleasant.  The good thing is that the desert north of us is relatively untraveled.  Closer to town where people use ATVs in the desert as a car, there is a lot of blowing dust.  Here we are just getting a share of it without the 'duststorm' aspect.

We've spent much of the morning watching the birds on the feeder.  It's on the south side of the house so the wind isn't too awful.  I'm not sure what caused it but we have just a pile of finches.  (If anyone would like to correct me on what a whole bunch of finches are called, I'd be more than appreciative.)  Feeding the birds has become quite a quest here.  I've no idea where it came from since neither of us has ever cared much about birds.  Five years ago I doubt if my wife could tell a robin from a wren and I wasn't much better!

Here's the lesser gold finches enjoying the thistle sock.



I said it was blowing - here's the wind sock that my wife bought for me - no slack today!
Have a good one!

1 comment:

Ed said...

I'm not certain of this but I don't think any group of birds is called a "bunch".

In the case of finches, a group of them would be called a CHARM of FINCHES.