Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An Early Start...

Got up and took the dog out this a.m.  While she was doing her little doggie thing, I was looking around.  I love seeing the mountains surrounding our valley.  There is something about nature that comforts me.  Does it you?  A grove of trees or a quiet lake or the endless prairie are all, in their way, comforting.  Then I noticed the evil influence of man.





Well, it's not exactly an 'evil influence'; it's just a bunch of contrails from planes taking folks from California back east.  It's 07:00 so those folks have been up and about for at least two hours.  I'm not so certain I envy them getting up at 04:00 to catch the early flight east.  I'm liking getting in my rv by 09:00 if we are ambitious and driving a hundred or two hundred miles.  My in-laws were full time rv'ers for many years.  They always liked to leave early and stop early.  I think my wife and I have improved on that plan; we leave late and stop early.  It just makes more sense.

Why make life into a race?  What's the old saying 'All you have to do is pay taxes and die and the paying taxes may not apply'.  I'm for enjoying the process not chasing all over at top speed.  I wasn't always this way.  I used to be on the road by 07:00 to get to work; it would be at least 18:30 before I got home.  I knew where all the light switches were at work just like at home.  It was my home-away-from-home.  The seven day work week, the 02:00 call out, the missed holiday - all part of my life.  No more.  Now I'm all about looking out the window at these beautiful, rocky mountains and enjoying.

Have a good one.

1 comment:

JoeinVegas said...

I think it's time for you to supplement your retirement and go get a job.