Monday, January 16, 2012

More on the Vegas Trip

I completely forgot to mention one really interesting thing about my trip to Vegas.  I'm still not familiar with the city so often use GPS to route me from A to B.  I'm never calm enough to set it up before getting on the road so I fumble with it a fair amount.  Well, last week I managed to change the language to Afrikaans!  Happily it is close enough to Dutch that I could mostly understand what it was telling me.  Amazing. 

Our daughter came over for dinner on Saturday.  She brought a movie with her, Moneyball, the new Brad Pitt movie.  I was actually impressed.  We all thought it was a very good movie though I must say I know next to nothing about baseball.  All the player trades and statistical analysis was actually made interesting.  I think the ladies were mostly watching Pitt but I thought Jonah Hill did a great job at the nerdy economist/statistical analyst. 

I took the truck out for a little exercise the other day.  It's a 4x4 so I like to find a bit of dirt and exercise the front axle stuff.  I went part way up the alluvial fan that forms the side of the Spring Mountains.  Here is a photo of the valley view from up there.
You can see a few scruffy Joshua trees in the distance but most of the vegetation is just scrub.  On the floor of the valley are homes spread out here and there with the Last Chance mountains on the other side of the valley. 

Gotta go.  Have a good one!

1 comment:

JoeinVegas said...

You need to join a 4-wheelin' club and get out there more often.