Saturday, February 28, 2009

Change or not....



The other day I bought a new dehydrator and this morning I'm doing my first batch of jerky. I made a lot of jerky in Florida but the racks for the old machine were all broken up; it just wasn't worth keeping. We'll see if I can keep this one in better condition. In the excitement of moving here, I forgot my recipe for jerky marinade so went to my friend, the internet, looking for ideas. There were plenty of ideas and I ended up using one that is very similar to what I think (!) I used before.

It got me thinking about our need for change vs our need for stability. Here I am, 2,500 miles away from the house in Florida with a new dehydrator and I'm searching for the same old recipe. Has there been enough change in my life so I'm searching for pieces of the old life - or is it just preferring one recipe over the other. LOL A lot of physical things have changed over the last eight months but, after all, they are just things. The important things in my life, my wife, our kids, even our animals, are the same. Our country is changing as it always does. Our economy has declined, but that's not something I can affect. We have a new President who, I hope, will turn around some of the moral decline that was caused by the previous administration. Again, that isn't something an average person can affect (after the voting is over). I don't know, maybe I just need to go do some physical work! Think I'll go attack a tree or something.

No comments: