Sunday, March 18, 2012

Happy Late St. Patrick's Day

I hope everyone had a good St. Patrick's Day; well, as good as an Irish protestant could wish for you.  My dad always claimed to be from the North of Ireland and relations with the Catholic saints have not been good for the last several hundred years.  Not that I give a rats a$$ about that since I'm not even a protestant!

Our neighbors in Florida always gave a big party on St. Paddy's Day and we have tried to make the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner.  Last year the corned beef was just plain tough; this year it was much better though I'm not sure what caused the improvement.  At any rate, it was good, everything was good.  My wife even gave soda bread a try (from 'Beard on Bread' - remember cookbooks?) and it was really very nice.  In fact I'm expecting to put a hurt on the loaf this morning for my breakfast.  Yum!

To enhance the Irish experience our weather even cooperated and it rained the entire afternoon, a fine soft Irish sort of rain but quite a bit for us.  Weather underground says we got .73 of an inch (1.8 cm)!  I'm absolutely amazed. 

My wife and I needed a bit more Irish though so we watched 'The Quiet Man' with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.  Filmed by John Ford in Ireland in 1952, it's the story of a retired boxer who returns to the Irish village in which he was born and finds his true love.  I understand there was a 'chemistry' between Wayne and O'Hara and it comes through in this sentimental film  It works especially well though when you are full of corned beef and cabbage and Guinness.  Yes, I had to have a Guinness though the bottled version basically sucks.  Well, even the tap version that we get in this country isn't as good as they have in England and I'm hoping that the Irish would be even better.  Maybe I'll make it there one day and try it out.    

Until then, have a good one!

No comments: