Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What can one say???

My heart goes out to the people of Christchurch, NZ who have been so devastated by the terrible earthquake.  How can it be understood to be riding along in a bus and have a building fall on it!  What can prepare one for that?

"How's your mum?"
"Oh, she's dead."
"Oh, I'm so sorry.  How did she die?"
"A building fell on the bus she was riding in last Tuesday."

What's with that!  Well, I guess it's better than what's happening in the Arab world.  In New Zealand we are talking 65 dead; in Libya it might be 500 or 5,000.

The changes we are seeing there; almost minute to minute are staggering.  What on earth can one say about the Egyptian leader leaving office after 30 years?   There are certain to be amazing changes in the direction of Egyptian politics.  Then there are the other Arab/Islamic nations who are feeling the desire for change - Libya, Bahrain, Yemen, who knows where?

I'm no foreign policy genius but any nitwit can see that when an autocratic regime suddenly disappears there is a power vacuum and there is no guessing what will happen.  All those boffins who advise the leaders of the world will be grasping at any straw to suggest the future direction of these countries.  I'm glad I'm not one of the boffins or the leaders!   Come on Obama, I supported you because I thought you were smart enough to lead us through mine-fields like this.  Go buddy, go!

All I know is that almost everyone prefers stability to disarray so I'm expecting some military take-overs in some Arab countries really soon.  The prince of Bahrain, in canceling the Bahrain Grand Prix, has signaled that he wants to talk with at least some of his people.

"Bahrain's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together to remind the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united. At the present time the country's entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain."

At the very least, the Prince's words give one hope for this one nation.  Libya is certainly not so fortunate!  The death toll is still unknown; most likely will never be known.  Who knows about the other Arab nations?

 This is one of those times when I wish I believed in a God.  I would certainly be praying for peace!

No comments: