Thursday, July 08, 2021

I've gotta change my passwords!

I was looking at a magazine and they were talking about the need to make passwords a bit more difficult to reduce hacking.  So they had this nice little illustration of how long it would take a computer to hack your password.  For example, an 8 number password would not take any time at all, a few microseconds.  On the other hand if it were 8 upper case and lower case letters, they said it would take 22 minutes.  Make that 10 letters and you are looking at 1 month.  Make that numbers, upper case & lower case letters and symbols and you go out to 5 years!  I don't know about you but I can't imagine anyone trying that hard to get past one of my passwords.  The article said the data was from www.howsecureismypassword.net.

That site was fun.  It is also a motivator to change a few passwords!  Of course, I've got passwords for American Airlines or Duolingo; maybe I can leave those quite simple.  Or flickr; what are you going to do, delete the pictures?  No one looks at them anyway!  

Speaking of photos: I was outside last night cooking on the bbq.  I've been talking about how warm it has been and late yesterday afternoon it was around 113F(45C) out there.  I saw this little hummingbird sitting on a rack we have out there IN THE SHADE.  He was just panting away and just sat there even though I was only a 4 or 5 feet(1.25m) away.


Well, that's the excitement for today.  Keep washing those hands.

No comments: