Friday, December 07, 2007

Xmas crap

Oh boy, am I ever tired of Christmas. It doesn't bother me but it drives my wife crazy. And, as anyone married know, if one partner starts acting crazy the other has quite a job straightening things out.

Let me start by saying that neither of us are Christian though we were both raised in traditional Christian households. It is also important that our children are both grown. So the holiday is about being around family and dreaming of abstract things like "Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward men". It's kind of an extended Thanksgiving where we buy each other basically meaningless gifts, listen to Christmas music and watch football.

For some reason, this basically meanless holiday makes my wife crazy. We have a little tree that we dress with lights and baubles. We have purchased all the gifts that people told us they wanted. All we have to do in the next week is buy a ham, a few minor foodstuffs and a couple of bottles of wine. We are retired! We literally have 6 days to do that. Maybe that's why she's crazy; too much time to think. I don't know!

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to the 26th. Happy Holidays everyone!

One final thought: to me any decent moral philosophy is much like any other. There is no reason we should require any god to live morally.

1 comment:

Helene said...

lol whats the final thought?

That skyventure thing is in Orlando.

Hope all is good with you! Happy Holidays!