Sunday, June 20, 2010

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

I follow a blogger from Australia, the, I assume, well known Lee.  I find Lee to be a pretty cool guy; well educated, liberal but not over-the-top, concerned about the world we leave for our children.  He's got one advantage that I just don't see in us citizens of the United States:  he's free to travel the globe.

Just now he is visiting Cuba.  It's not legal for me to do that.  "Land of the free" - does that really mean that I'm free to do anything as long as some asshole in the government hasn't made a rule against it?  Come on, what possible ill could it do our country if I visited this over-heated island?  I've been in the Caribbean and it's hot, muggy and buggy in the summer.  Honestly, the last time this island was even vaguely important was the missile crisis of 1962.  Yes, that seemed to be a legitimate threat; yes, the U.S. needed to defend itself against missile strikes from so close a base; but NO, fifty years later we are just knee-jerking against a country dominated by a half-dead tyrant. 

Let's give up this out of date policy and just let people go wherever the hell they want.  I'm embarrassed that I can't go to Cuba.  Gives the country (mine!) a bad name and I don't like that one bit. 

"I know not what course other may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"  Patrick Henry

No comments: