Monday, May 30, 2011

It used to be Decoration Day....

Honestly, I think I'd forgotten that.  Of course it came back in a moment!  It's not like we aren't military around here. 

My grandfather was in the Spanish-American War in 1898 or so.
My mother's brother was in World War I in 1918 or so.
My dad was in WWII - he was a divorced man of 36 so eligible for the draft.
My father-in-law was at the Inchon invasion of Korea.
I was a veteran of the action in Vietnam though I did not serve in Vietnam.
My brother-in-law was in the navy during all the recent mid-east conflicts - he retired after 28 years service
in 2000.

I think we understand a bit about putting yourself on the line for freedom; let's give a thought or two for those who have given the ultimate price for our freedom.  

P.S. can't upload a photo because blogger is AFU.  Good story that I can share though:  went to the store the other day and bought a purple flower from the guys at the Disabled American Veteran display.  Didn't buy one for my wife knowing she was coming after me and would buy her own.  When she showed up, she had 2!!  She had found a DAV display in front of Walmart and bought one for me.  Isn't she great!

No comments: