Monday, August 08, 2011

Good Job!

My wife did a really great thing over the weekend; she went to a self-defense course put on by our county sheriff's office.  Saturday was half classroom stuff and half demonstration.  There was a female deputy who did the talking and a male deputy who was the 'bad guy'.  She was really pumped Saturday evening.  She was learning a lot and really liked the class.  Sunday was the day when they got dirty.  The male deputy attacked each woman in the class three different ways and they had to fight their way out of it.  My wife has bruises on her breast, her side, both hips and more; the parts that aren't bruised are just sore.  The deputy did a great job of attacking physically but not being frighting emotionally.  The women ranged in age from about forty to something over seventy.  The class is free and graduates are welcome to come back for refreshers; one woman was on her seventh class! 

I'm really happy she went to the class and those two deputies are absolutely great!  We are pretty security conscious already but it sure doesn't hurt to be reminded that there are bad people out there.  Having an idea of what to do if you are attacked is really important.  Hell, I'd go to one of the classes if they were offered for guys but we are expected to know it all.  LOL  Yeah, sure, you betcha.  The only thing that keeps me from looking like a victim is that I'm over six feet tall and well over two hundred pounds (1.8 m and 100 kg)so I'm larger than lots of people and if I fall on you it would hurt!  Also I'm pretty physically confident and that counts for a lot.

I'm off to Vegas again today.  The excuse is that it's a booze run.  I'm saving $8 a bottle on cheap scotch so I've got to do it!  LOL  The real reason for me is to buy a birthday present for my wife.   I'm not entirely sure what it's going to be but, well, what husband wants to miss giving a birthday gift???  And no, we aren't in the economic strata where something from Walmart is going to work.  We were there once but not any more.  Besides, we've got a Toyota that's 18 months old and has less than 12,000 miles (19,000 km).  The dealer thinks we are dead.

Have a good one; I'm going to try to!  Oh, and Happy Birthday Bob, we're thinking of you.

1 comment:

JoeinVegas said...

You've got to buy a few bottles to cover the cost of gas.
How about giving her some scotch?