Thursday, October 06, 2011

Steve Jobs - RIP

Yahoo's finance editor has done a nice job of commenting on the importance of Steve Jobs, I recommend it if you are interested though I'm sure every news outlet has a similar piece.  I was glad to find that I wasn't the only one who couldn't put a finger on his genius.  It will be interesting to see what happens to Apple now that he is no longer there.  I've told the story of my iMac; it started falling apart about a day after the warranty ended.  That combined with their total proprietary attitude killed it for me. 

We had a gray day yesterday with overcast and a 'Seattle rain' for most of the day.  It inspired me to make the Cajun Roast from Justin Wilson's cookbook.  It's a chuck roast basically.  You cut slits in the roast and put a slice of garlic, jalapeno and shallot in each slit.  Next salt & cayenne pepper the outside and put in it a roasting bag.  Add potatoes, onions, carrots to make it a traditional pot roast, then comes the trick.  Use a cup of red wine and a cup of white wine and some bitters for the liquid.  I add either water or broth to bring the level of the liquid up to the top of the meat.  Close the bag and cook at 350F for 3 hours.  (That's a medium-low setting.)  The darned thing starts smelling pretty good after about 45 minutes so it's tough to leave it alone but it's worth it in the end.  It's spicy but not hot, the vegies, if you've cut them intelligently, still have a bit of a crunch, and the juice is fantastic.  Of course the alcohol would have cooked off probably before it started smelling good, but the remaining flavors are great.  Let's just say, my wife doesn't eat very much bread but she'd send me back to the store to get rolls if I tried to serve this without them for soaking up the juice!

Have a good one!

No comments: