Sunday, February 24, 2013

Bad Don!

Ok, been AWOL again.  My only excuse is that I'm on vacation.  (How do I go on vacation from no job?)  We are visiting San Diego.  It's not really that great of weather (high 64F - 18C & breezy) but the views are pretty good.  This is from the picture window at the back of our trailer.
This park is on Mission Bay so we are fairly close to downtown and the ocean beaches.  We've stayed here one other time.  It's expensive but quiet for a park so close to everything in a big city.  It has Wifi but it isn't terribly reliable; this morning (07:00 on Sunday) it's fine.  My wife grew up in San Diego so we have fun visiting some of her old haunts.  And we get to see Number One Son & his SO.  I must say we won't be losing any weight on this trip!

One of the old time scenic stops is Mt. Soledad.  There are nice views of the surrounding area - this is of the beaches to the north.

The monument itself is a giant cross intended to honor veterans of the U.S. military forces.  There were some legal actions some years ago in connection with having a religious symbol on public land.  This has been addressed; there are now several plaques mentioning that this is now private property!  It is a nice thought but sometimes I fear we take political correctness too far.
 


The cross is surrounded by low walls displaying plaques honoring various members of the military.  It is kind of strange; all crammed together with no apparent organization.  WWI is next to Vietnam which is next to Korea; there are plaques to the famous and to the unknown; there are quite a number of couples where both served.  Very interesting; I don't even know if they are all from this area!


We'll continue visiting.  Hopefully I'll continue to use the camera!


The traffic in San Diego is pretty awful.  They have plenty of stopages and the roads themselves were built with a special something that sets up a rocking motion for our truck.  I would estimate that approximately 20% of drivers on the freeways (including myself) go the speed limit of 65 mph (100 kph).  The remainder are from 10mph to 20 mph faster.  Needless to say there is absolutely NO lane discipline; fast cars are slaloming between lanes like a skier in the Olympics.  Most people flip on their signal light and change lanes without checking to see if there is anyone there; some omit the signal light.  It sucks during the day and is quite a bit worse at night.  I'm hardly surprised a the stopages; the accident rate must be impressive.  Last night the police found a drunk waving the U.S. flag in the middle of one of the freeways.

Anyway we are planning on being here until next Wednesday when we will return home.  Gotta go for now; have a good one.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can feel your frustration with San Diego. After visiting my daughter every winter for ten years with trailer in tow and before that for frequent business trips, I no longer look forward to my San Diego visits. The four lane freeways and 80MPH required speeds in spite of posted speed limits is not where I want to be. So I opted to pass on San Diego this winter. Maybe next year.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Croft said...

We have not been to SD for decades, outside of a quick trip from Yuma to pick someone up at the airport. We did go there back in the 70's and remember a great seafood dinner in a waterfront restaurant.

I Googled the Mission Bay RV park. Wow! I would not want a waterfront site in the summer! $50 off season is steep but manageable considering it is close to town.

JoeinVegas said...

You can't beat the view