Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Brrrr

Nice and chilly out here today.  18F (7C) and the birdbath was totally frozen.  Brrr.  I know it's nothing where it really gets cold (I was born in Iowa and 18F ain't that bad there!)  but here it is about as cold as we get.  The birds may be chilly but they are still hungry!

 We keep trying to count the number of finches on the sock but they move so fast it's tough.  Then there are the guys waiting in line for a position to open up.  It's life in the REALLY fast lane for these little guys!

I watched a movie yesterday that was really interesting for me.  Let me put this is prospective:  I'm an older white guy.  I grew up in rural Iowa in the 1960's when segregation was still a fact of life in the South and there were absolutely NO 'persons of color' in my little town.  My folks brought me up to see people as people regardless of skin color.  However, it is true that I've had relatively little contact with people of other races.  I've worked with people of different races but I've never had a friend of another color.  Well, I'm kind of a loner so I do have lots of 'acquaintances' and very few people I call 'friend' but the fact remains.  Anyway, the movie was called "Something New".  It was made in 2006 and starred Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker.  The premise is that a rather upper class black woman meets a rather middle class white guy and after the usual difficulties they fall in love.  Ok, a typical romantic comedy.  What intrigued me was the discrimination that the woman's family felt about her marrying outside her race.  I've seen it discussed in other movies but this one seemed to do a really excellent job of portraying the situation.  Gotta say, I like it a lot.  I'd give it at least an 8 out of 10.

Have a good one!

2 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Sorry, 18 is still cold

Croft said...

Nice here in Mazatlan, Don. 25C in the daytime and 14C at night. Take a vacation!